I should be sleeping right now but after working all night and coming home tired, these fingers just can’t seem to resist banging on this keyboard and sharing these thoughts racing around in my mind as Big Tuesday looms on the horizon. The name-calling, mudslinging, finger-pointing, flag-waving, reputation-smearing, candidate-endorsing, poll-taking, obvious-winner predicting , he-said, she-said storytelling, big buck spending and informercial buying are coming to an end in less than a week. And when the dust settles as people line up to cast their votes, one thing is perfectly clear. NO ONE KNOWS for sure until the polls are closed and the votes are tabulated……. WHO THE WINNER WILL BE.
Will it be the “new kid on the block”, promising hope, new direction, an end to the same-0, same-0 of the last eight…………….or will it be the old man, war veteran and hero, seasoned, and admittedly a ”maverick” who is also promising changes and an end the way things have been handled by the current administration? If you believe the reports of what the many different polls seem to indicate, then you’re apt to believe that one candidate is well ahead of the other. You may also be inclined to believe that TV and radio are impartial, middle of the road and fair in their reporting of the daily news. How about the tooth fairy, and the likelihood of the “fat guy” in the red suit sliding down YOUR chimney in a couple of months?
“Politicians” and “honesty”………….if you’re someone who aspires to become the next mayor, governor, senator, congressman…….or President of these United States…..is it even possible to NOT tell people what you think they want to HEAR, make promises you may not be able to keep, exaggerate your strengths, play down your weaknesses, convince them that you are the better choice not based how good you make yourself look and how bad you can make your opponent appear to be. The choice is not as clear as somc may tell you it is. And it’s NOT over until it IS over.
So, know this……that we are not a nation of sheep, or fools and when the chips are down and the curtain is pulled close behind us in the voting booth, in our quiet contemplation before we make our choice, some of these thoughts and others, not mentioned here, may find their way to our place of reasoning and ask us……..
1) BASED SOLEY ON EXPERIENCE, WHO IS MORE QUALIFIED AND MORE CAPABLE OF CHANGING OUR DIRECTION AND DELIVERING ON PROMISES OF A BETTER DAY FOR US ALL?
2) WHO IS TELLING US MORE OF WHAT WE WANT TO HEAR AND AND NOT MUCH OF WHAT WE NEED TO HEAR?
3) ALL POLL RESULTS ASIDE, LOOK AT THE NEWS AND ASK YOURSELF…..BASED ON THE “LAST MINUTE” ACTIONS AND ACTIVITIES LEADING TO NEXT TUESDAY, WHICH CANDIDATE IS DOING AND SAYING WHAT REALLY MAY BE A REFLECTION OF CONCERNS , IF NOT DESPERATION (AT THIS STAGE) ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF NOT BEING ABLE TO SWAY ENOUGH VOTES HIS WAY?
4) WHEN CONSIDERING THAT BOTH SIDES ALLEGEDLY HAVE CANDIDATES WHO ARE TOO INEXPERIENCED FOR THIS “JOB”, WILL WE CHOOSE THE SIDE WITH THE ONE WHO WILL BECOME THE NEXT PRESIDENT OR THE OTHER WHO, AS VICE PRESIDENT, COULD POSSIBLY FIND HERSELF IN A SITUATION OF HAVING TO ASSUME THE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES OF THE PRESIDENCY?
5) WILL YOU CHOOSE BASED ON PROMISES WITHOUT KNOWING THE DETAILS ON HOW THOSE PROMISES WILL BE DELIVERED AND HOW MUCH IT WILL COST YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?
THINK TWICE……..AND CHOOSE WISELY!!!! I HAVE TO SLEEP ON THIS ONE!