The first batch of crabapples are pau! I haven’t tasted them yet, but they sure look good! I have one more batch to do, and that will be it for the year. I found out that my friend Steph has a real crabapple tree, and next year we’ll do a trade: fresh for pickled. Sounds like a plan to me! (more…)
Archive for November, 2007
My friend Kerrie was recently diagonosed with cancer, and began her chemo last week. She is a vibrant, full-of-life person, who has an incredible gift as a watercolor artist. She is creative and funny, and I wanted to make her something special. I decided on a chemo cap, and chose Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk to make it with. (more…)
Hinahina. Gray. There is no other word for the color of the days lately. Last week when I woke up, I was greeted by gray. Today when I woke up I was greeted by more gray. (more…)
Today, ka pua melemele wen open even more! And da fragrance is indescribable unless you wen smell it in person. I get wai maka everytime I go walk by it; is so hard for try describe how it makes me feel. (more…)
Da odda night we wen bring in alla da tropical plants from da lanai cuz was going get below freezing. So today, I stay looking at my kahili ginger plant. Ho, da bugga almost 6′ tall anden!! I had dis plant foa about chree years now, and even doe neva wen bloom, is okay, still reminds me of home. (more…)
MonicaPDX tagged me with a meme. First time I’ve ever gotten tagged. Sounds like fun, so here goes:
1. Name one person who made you laugh last night?
Wow. I can’t think of anyone last night. But my friend Julie made me laugh today. Does that count?
2. What were you doing at 0800?
3. What were you doing 30 minutes ago?
Having a latte with Julie after getting back to town from Blue Moon Fiber Arts sale in Scappoose, AND having a fabulous Hawaiian style plate lunch at Hawaiian Island Cafe, owned by friends of ours from Hawai‘i, AND driving around Sauvie Island (Julie had never been there before).
4. What happened to you in 2006?
I learned that I was a stronger person than I thought I was, I did more knitting than I’ve ever done in my life, I formed even closer relationships with my friends from back home, I got more competent speaking and singing in Hawaiian, I went to a fabulous Alohaworld mini-gathering in Tacoma.
5. What was the last thing you said out loud?
“Kukui! E hele mai ‘oe!”
[Kukui, come here!]
6. How many beverages did you have today?
Latte in the morning, water at lunch, another latte a little while ago.
7. What color is your hairbrush?
8. What was the last thing you paid for?
The latte at Hawaiian Beanz.
9. Where were you last night?
Home with Nolemana
10. What color is your front door?
11. Where do you keep your change?
In my wallet.
12. What’s the weather like today?
Perfect fall weather; in the 50′s, bright sunshine, gorgeous fall colors everywhere.
13. What’s the best ice-cream flavor?
The best ever was Mandarin Chocolate Sherbet, which Baskin Robbins, to my utter dismay, does not make anymore. So I guess I’d have to say Jamoca Almond Fudge or
14. What excites you?
Yarn. Being with my friends. Singing in Hawaiian. Worship at church. New discoveries about myself.
15. Do you want to cut your hair?
16. Are you over the age of 25?
17. Do you talk a lot?
No, I tend to be pretty quiet unless I’m one on one with a close friend.
18. Do you watch the O.C.?
I have never even heard of it!
19. Do you know anyone named Steven?
20. Do you make up your own words?
Oh my gosh yes. Wanna hear one? Okay. “Feeblie”. Noun. Those white packing thingies that most people call packing peanuts or something.
21. Are you a jealous person?
Of what? Nope. Okay. Maybe a teeny bit when I hear of people who are making trips to Hawai‘i and I have to stay home.
22. Name a friend whose name starts with the letter ‘A’.
One of my closest friends has a name that starts with the letter ‘A’, but she wouldn’t want me to post it here.
23. Name a friend whose name starts with the letter ‘K’.
24. Who’s the first person on your received call list?
25. What does the last text message you received say?
Your new bill is ready.
26. Do you chew on your straw?
27. Do you have curly hair?
28. Where’s the next place you’re going to?
Church tomorrow night.
29. Who’s the rudest person in your life?
Stupidhead drivers who insist on passing me when I’m going the speed limit and it’s on a hill with a double yellow line in the middle of the road.
30. What was the last thing you ate?
Plate lunch at Hawaiian Island Cafe. Ono!
31. Will you get married in the future?
I already am.
32. What’s the best movie you’ve seen in the past 2 weeks?
Let me go check my Netflix queue…..okay, the Jesse Stone series with Tom Selleck.
33. Is there anyone you like right now?
I like several people. I have wonderful friends and I like them all.
34. When was the last time you did the dishes?
35. Are you currently depressed?
36. Did you cry today?
Nope. Too many happy things going on.
37. Why did you answer and post this?
Because no one ever tagged me before and I thought it’d be fun.
38. Tag 5 people who would do this survey.
Lika at Lika’s Log
Melanie at Knitting Loca
Diana at Otterwise
Ashley at Mixplate84
Destiny at Housefull of Boys
But only if they wanna do it.
Last year in September, Nolemana and I had to do an appraisal in Battle Ground, Washington. We were zipping along I-5 when sudddenly I realized that I’d missed the exit. Sheesh! ‘A‘ole pilikia [no problem]. I just kept driving till we got to the next exit, which happened to be in Woodland. (more…)